The Glen Burnie House as it looked when Julian Wood Glass Jr. inherited his father's interests in the site in 1952. Photo courtesy of The Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, Virginia.
Pictured in text
Julian Wood Glass Jr. around 1955, the time he acquired full ownership of the Glen Burnie House.
James Wood was a friend of George Washington's. The two men fought together in the French and Indian War and Wood played an important role in Washington's first election to public office. The Museum owns a portrait of George Washington painted by Rembrandt Peale (1778-1860).
The Glen Burnie House traces its historic significance to
surveyor James Wood, who settled on this land in the early 1700s
and then donated portions of his homestead to establish the city of Winchester
in 1744. His son Robert likely constructed the central portion
Glen Burnie House in the 1790s. The house’s ownership
passed through generations of Wood and then Glass families until
Julian Wood Glass Jr. acquired it in 1955.
Aided by R. Lee Taylor, his partner at the time, Glass
the house into a country retreat, and created the Glen Burnie
Gardens. Prior to his death in 1992, Glass created the Glass-Glen Burnie
and charged it with opening the site as a museum.
The house and
gardens opened to the public in 1997. In 2005, the addition of the Museum
the Shenandoah Valley provided the anchor that transformed this
historic house and landscape into a year-round regional history museum complex.
The house is now closed until 2014 for a preservation project. The gardens, which are open seasonally, will be open throughout the project. The gardens will be open from April 2 through October 31 in 2013.